Floating Duck Blinds – Retractable Awnings California.
Floating Duck Blinds
- borne up by or suspended in a liquid; "the ship is still floating"; "floating logs"; "floating seaweed"
- Buoyant or suspended in water or air
- Not settled in a definite place; fluctuating or variable
- the act of someone who floats on the water
- aimless: continually changing especially as from one abode or occupation to another; "a drifting double-dealer"; "the floating population"; "vagrant hippies of the sixties"
- Confuse or overawe someone with something difficult to understand
- window coverings, especially vertical blinds, wood blinds, roller blinds, pleated blinds
- Deprive (someone) of understanding, judgment, or perception
- A window blind is a type of window covering which is made with slats of fabric, wood, plastic or metal that adjust by rotating from an open position to a closed position by allowing slats to overlap. A roller blind does not have slats but comprises a single piece of material.
- Cause (someone) to be unable to see, permanently or temporarily
- The blinds are forced bets posted by players to the left of the dealer button in flop-style poker games. The number of blinds is usually two, but can be one or three.
- A waterbird with a broad blunt bill, short legs, webbed feet, and a waddling gait
- A pure white thin-shelled bivalve mollusk found off the Atlantic coasts of America
- (cricket) a score of nothing by a batsman
- Such a bird as food
- small wild or domesticated web-footed broad-billed swimming bird usually having a depressed body and short legs
- to move (the head or body) quickly downwards or away; "Before he could duck, another stone struck him"
floating duck blinds – Avery Mossy
In the Land of the Palmyra Palm
Edition: March 17, 2008
In the Land of the Palmyra Palm: The Genesis of the Jaffna Burghers –
The beginning of the Burgher Community in Jaffna, then known as Jaffnapatnam, began with the Portuguese occupation of the Peninsula led by Dom Andre Furtado de Mendoca in 1591, and that was further consolidated by its annexation in 1619 under Dom Filipe D’Oliveira. One of the factors that aided the Portuguese from 1619 to 21 was the presence of a pro-Portuguese native Catholic group in Jaffnapatnam that helped the Portuguese to end the so-called Jaffna kingdom said to have begun in medieval times.
The highest-ranking Portuguese official at Jaffnapatam was the Captain-Major or Capitao-major, and his authority was independent of the Captain-General resident in Colombo. He exercised the functions of both a Treasurer and that of an Auditor. He was also the chief judicial officer and the Collector of Customs. A Secretary or Escrivao assisted this important official.
The defence of the Peninsula was secured by two castles or fortresses, the first one being named Nossa Senhora das Milagres or Our Lady of Miracles at Jaffna town. The second fortress was at Kayts, then known as Cais [meaning quay]. All in all, the Portuguese kept a military force of more or less 200 men to maintain their administration over the North.
The names of a few Portuguese casados have been preserved in the tombos: Donna Anna Camella, Francisco Cabreira de Seixas, Thome de Mello, Sebistiam Roiz, Matheus Viera de Avreu, Hyeronimo de Paiva, Antao Vaz Freire, and several others, such as Alfonso, D’Anderadoe, De Bares, Barra, De Brita, Cardosa, Chainho, Chianho, Consalves, Corea, Da Vara, De Croes, De Croese, D’Croos, Delivera, Dias, De Faja, Feras, Ferera, Ferere, Fernando, Gomes, Gonsalves, Gonsalvos, D’Mella, D’Livera, Loco, D’Mainho, D’Maral, De Mel, De Neto, Pires, Pinto, Perera, Pezoto, Rodrigo, Rosairo, D’Rosairo, D’Silva, De Sosa and Baptista.
The Portuguese casados took wives from among the local population and founded families who were entirely Catholic in faith. In time a considerable community of mixed parentage rose and generally married among themselves. These are the Portuguese Burghers of Jaffnapatam in the 17th and 18th centuries. In the 19th century most of them migrated to Colombo and Negombo where they made a fresh start. In the intervening period, especially after Jaffna was taken by the Dutch in 1658, those Europeans who served in the military married into these families of mixed parentage. The new families carried names from Northwestern Europe — Holland, Germany, Flanders, Walloonia, Prussia, Denmark, the Frisian Islands, Sweden, Switzerland, Luxembourg, and France.
The Dutch appeared in Sri Lankan waters in 1602, captured the Portuguese fortress of Batticaloa in 1639 followed the same year by the fort at Trincomalee. This was the beginning of the end of Portuguese power and the rise of Dutch power and both powers contributed to the fashioning of what is, today, known as the Burgher Community.
In 1694, the Dutch authorities in Jaffnapatnam took a census of the inhabitants and this revealed that there were 109 European heads of families and 87 heads of families of mixed descent that included Portuguese, Malay wives, and those wives who had come hither from the East Indies Archipelago. This reveals that the people of the then city of Jaffna were an already heterogeneous lot with many different bloodlines. It is reasonable to assume that this pattern held good for the other towns along the coast that were occupied by the Dutch, i.e. Colombo, Kalutara, Bentota, Galle, Matara, Tangalle, Hambantota, Batticaloa, Trincomalee, Pooneryn, Delft, Hammenheil, Mannar, Kalpitiya, Puttlam, Chilaw and Negombo.
The European family names originating from Jaffna that survive amongst the Burgher Community in Sri Lanka today are:
Bulner, D’ Croon, (Kroon), Ernst, Fransz (De Fransz), Fretz, Grenier, Honter, Jansz, Keegel, Kiel, Koch, Martyn, Mauritz, Muller, Nagel, Neydorff, Ohlmus, Pietersz, Prins, Reimers, Sansoni, Thuring, and Toussaint.
Kroon is a Dutch name meaning ‘crown,’ Franz means ‘French’ and here it means ‘son of a French (man), Grenier (attic, loft), Koch (cook), Honter, Mauritz and Muller are all German names, Nagel means ‘nail,’ Grenier means attic or loft, Koch simply means ‘cook,’ and Muller means ‘miller,’ Jansz means ‘son of Jan,’ Pietersz means ‘son of Peter,’ Sansoni is Italian and Toussaint is French!
The Families of mixed European and Oriental parentage included:
Alfonso, Anthonisz, Claasz, Corea, de Croes, Delivera, Dias, Fernando, Gonsalves, Jansz, D’Livera, De Mel, Pietersz, Pinto, Rosairo, D’Rosairo, and D’Silva.
Amongst the mixed family names Alfonso and Fernando are Spanish, Anthonisz is ‘son of Anthony’ in Dutch, Claasz is ‘son of Claas,’ Corea is ‘belt or strap’ in Portuguese, and so on.
Because the socio-economic and political centre
In an edition of the Halifax Herald, dated January 25, 1889, an unknown historian gave an account of the "Black Winter Among the Acadians at French Cross." The accounting impressed Arthur Wentworth Eaton sufficiently enough for him to set it out in full in his work, History of the County of Kings. I do likewise. For those are not familiar with the surrounding events of 1755, I refer to The Deportation of the Acadians.
"As is well known the southern shore of the Bay of Fundy is overlooked by a frowning, beetling cliff, extending all the way from Cape Split to Digby Neck. Against this wall of solid trap, from time immemorial, the thundering waves, like battering-rams, have hurled themselves in vain. At certain points, however, there are breaks in this high bluff, making access to the Bay easy, and affording harbours for vessels. One of these places is found opposite the Aylesford St. Mary’s Church. The ancients called it the ‘French Cross’, the moderns call it ‘Morden’.
"Long before either English or French speech was heard along the shores of the Bay of Fundy, the Micmacs had their highways of travel over land and water, as well established and as well known as are the railways, coach roads, and steamer routes, of the present day. The country around the head of the Bay, all the way from the Petitcodiac to Advocate, was favourite ground for the savages of olden times. Equally desirable was the district along the banks of the Annapolis river. The abundance of fish, fowl, and wild beasts made these parts of the country desirable dwelling places for the red men. And there was necessarily much travelling from place to place. In choosing their highways the Indians, like the modern railway men, looked for routes securing the greatest possible advantage. From any point at the head of the Bay, outside of Minas Basin.. canoes would soon glide across to French Cross. Am easy portage of about four miles would bring them to the Annapolis river, near where St. Mary’s Church in Aylesford now stands. Here the canoes, would be launched, and down the river to Digby it was mere music. and poetry to travel. The gentle current would bear them along the sinuosities of the river, where there were always mink, otter, beaver, rabbits, partridges, ducks and geese for their swift-winged arrows and their traps and snares; and salmon and shad in plenty for their deft spears. High pleasure and glorious sport it was for the. red men to drift down this stream, and not less was the fun to their papooses and squaws. Silently they would float along, surprising game at every turn of the stream. As soon as the French came into possession of the lands at Annapolis, and around the head of the Bay, and had made friends with the Micmacs, they naturally adopted the Indian routes by land and water.
"In the early autumn of 1755 a canoe, well manned with Indians, might have been seen gliding up the Cornwallis river, and then being taken rapidly over the portage between Berwick and the Caribou bog. Here being again launched, it swept along the Annapolis river, impelled both by the current and the Indians’ paddles. Its occupants stopped neither to shoot fowl nor to spear fish. On and on they went till they arrived at the point a little above the Paradise railway station. Here they came upon the eastern end of the Acadian settlement. They were the bearers of startling news. Gloom was on their faces, and alarm in their actions and words. The intelligence they gave brought consternation to the hearts of the Acadians, for the latter now learned from their Micmac friends that their compatriots at Grand Pre and Canard were prisoners in the Grand Pre parish church, and surrounded by armed red coats; and that ships were anchored at the mouth of the Gaspereau, ready ta bear them away from their homes to lands strange and unknown.
"The news flew down the river and over the marshes on the wings of the wind, and spread on either side till it reached the home of every habitant. The hearts of the people quailed before an impending calamity so dire, a fate so terrible. In Upper Granville, that is from below Bridgetown to Paradise, a meeting of the people. was hastily called. Of course, the pressing, burning question was, what under the circumstances should be done. Already their 1wiests and delegates were prisoners in Halifax, and they were face to face with the black sequel. Some said: ‘Make no resistance, surrender to the English and trust Providence’. Others said, ‘Nay; of all evils before us this is the worst to choose!’ The result was a, permanent division of opinion. About sixty resolved on instant flight up the river. But the risk was too great to travel either by stream, or by the old French road. In either course they might meet the English soldiers. Their route must be north of the river, north of the road.
Loading themselves to the full measure of their
floating duck blinds